Freelance web design is an excellent choice for an online part time job. Because if you haven’t already noticed, everything (and everybody) is going online. Web trends and technologies are also changing at the speed of light, so there will always be a need for new and fresh websites.
Part of what makes this an excellent part-time job choice is the fact that many large Fortune 500 companies are changing their hiring practices. It used to be that they hired full-time employees for this work, but now it is a better value for them to hire web designers on a part-time (or contract) basis. That means the demand for part-time web designers is growing at an incredible rate with no end in sight.
Prerequisites for Web Design Business:
For this online part time job, you’ll need two things: a love of writing code, and the skills to actually do it.
Web Design Courses
Simply, you can conduct courses in two ways. These are either from a conventional institute or from online. Even, some of the reputed institutes provide online courses. Broadly, you need to learn accessible web designing, database, internet, system integration technologies, media programming, flash, Java programming, HTML etc.
Startup Costs for Web Design Business
Establishing yourself as a freelance web designer does not require any money. Start easy with a few small projects for friends and family, and then use that work as part of your portfolio to advertise your services at places like freelance.com.
How Much You Can Earn From Web Design Business
Completely unlimited. However, the web designers who are naturally good graphic designers will get paid a lot more than developers who just write code. That alone makes this an excellent online part time job for designers with both skill sets.
If you have a love for writing code and building websites, there has never been a better time to be a freelance web designer. And if you take the time to build your portfolio at places like freelance.com, Odesk, and Behance – jobs will seek you instead of you having to seek them.
2 Different Web Design Business Model You Can Consider
If you want to earn money from your web designing skill, then there are two ways you can consider. These two business models are completely different in nature. Additionally, each model demands different infrastructure and investment.
First of all, you can consider starting a freelance web design business. And definitely, starting the business from home will ensure less startup capital investment. However, you need a business plan. Additionally, you will need to fix your charges and specific services. And there are several options to promote your freelance web design business.
Another option is starting a web designing company. Definitely, the business is highly lucrative. And ensures better revenue than the freelance option. Here also, you must craft a business plan with financial analysis and marketing plan.
Here in this article, we will discuss how you can start a freelance web design business from home with a small investment.
10 Reasons to Start a Freelance Web Design Business
- First of all, you can start this business as part-time. So, it allows you to initiate this venture even with your current professional engagement.
- Secondly, you don’t need to have a commercial office space. Just start the business from home. So, you can initiate a home-based operation with less money.
- Even, if you don’t have any coding skill, then also you can consider starting this business. Yes, you can use WordPress instantly. Shineedutech.com is also a WordPress site. There are numerous plugins and theme options you can consider. For an eCommerce site, you can consider using Shopify.
- The demand for customized web design service is always high in the market. So, if you have the right product at the right price for the right audience, I bet you will get huge clients.
- Starting a home-based freelance web designing business doesn’t demand huge startup capital. So, you can start this business with small startup cost.
- Resources are readily available on the internet. Practically, you can learn a lot about web designing. There are numerous dedicated sites you can find to learn the nitty gritty of web designing.
- The profitability is highly lucrative. You can earn really good margin out of this business.
- If you want to grow the business, at any moment of time you can scale up. You can get associated with a partner or consider keeping skilled employees.
- Along with simple web designing, there are several value-added services you can consider offering your clients. And definitely, these are the new opportunities for this type of business.
- Finally, in the current digital era, it is the right time for starting this business. Additionally, there are plenty of opportunities you can explore to promote your home-based business.
Freelance Web Design Business Plan
In initiating a home-based web design business, you must craft a business plan. And your business plan must consist your business goal, financial analysis, and marketing plan too. Here, we will discuss some of the most important aspects of a web design business plan.
Understand the Market
This is the must. And you can do this online. Definitely, you will have your specific products to offer your clients. However, it is more important to know what they are looking for. And you will need to satisfy their need with the customization.
Calculate the Startup Cost
First of all, make a list of the basic requirements for starting this business. The list may include a computer, internet connection, software solutions, domain purchase, hosting etc. Generally, software companies offer 30 days free trial. However, you will need to purchase after the 1-month duration.
Create you Own Portfolio Website
This is a must. You will need to create your own website first before offering to others. And on your site, mention the services in detail. Additionally. ad the client list if you have already. If you don’t have, you can consider offering some free service to the non-profit organizations or social welfare companies. Do work for free. And it will definitely help you in future. Clearly, mention your contact details with social media profiles on the website.
For the specific services you offer, you must determine how much to charge from your clients. However, you can charge by two ways. Either as hourly or as fixed for specific services.
Get the Tools You Need
A freelance web design business requires different tools. First of all, you will need some designing tools. In addition to that, you must have an accounting software to raise the invoice and track your finances. If you offer hourly service, you may need time tracking software solutions too. Also, you will need to have the domain name with hosting service. Consider, having the payment option on your website. This will help you to get the payment instantly from your clients.
Promote Your Web Design Business & Find Clients
You must excel every way to promote your business online. And the social media is the great option for this. Social media platforms have become the excellent way to promote your services, drive traffic to your website, attract potential customers and form a network of the people who have the same niche.
Additionally, you can upload your profile to the sites who provide the platform for both the buyers and jobbers. Have a blog on your website. Write effective and helpful blog posts regularly. Remember, you will need to work on the client’s projects with stipulated budgets, timelines, and expectations. Literally, you can find numerous ways to promote your freelance web design business online.